• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Standing Contingency Task Force: A Canadian Marine Unit?

tomahawk6

Army.ca Legend
Reaction score
Its certainly is a step in the right direction but I advocate a 3 battalion airborne regiment. :)

A

aesop081

tomahawk6 said:
but I advocate a 3 battalion airborne regiment. :)

With our dollar higher than yours we should be able to recuit americans to man this unit.....about the only way we could get enough people for that.... ;D

Jammer

Army.ca Veteran
Reaction score
To do what???
I hate to burst anyone's bubble, but the days of the massed airborne drop are a faded memory. IIRC Panama was the last time a drop occurred. Even that was a Bn - gig.

tomahawk6

Army.ca Legend
Reaction score
Recruit Gurhka's but I find it hard to believe that Canada cant recruit a 2000 man regiment. The Army is too small as it is and needs more trigger pullers and I am sure there are wasteful personnel practices with folks. We had the same problem in the late 90's early 2000. People were moved out of staff,school house and other places they were hiding and manned our combat units to 104%.

The reality for me is that a Canadian naval contingency force could not arrive in time to be useful, so that just leaves a force that can be deployed by air. Instead of an LPHD type ship buy a couple more C-17's.

If there was the will to fully man the CF,by will I mean money, you could offer bonus' to bring in more recruits and offer other types of incentives. We know it works, we're doing it.

A

aesop081

tomahawk6 said:
People were moved out of staff,school house and other places they were hiding and manned our combat units to 104%.

And after we do that, who is left to train people to go into the units ?

Jammer

Army.ca Veteran
Reaction score
I hear Blackwater might be looking for a contract after they get booted out of Iraq...

Garett

Reaction score
Jammer said:
To do what???
I hate to burst anyone's bubble, but the days of the massed airborne drop are a faded memory. IIRC Panama was the last time a drop occurred. Even that was a Bn - gig.

What about the jump by the Rangers into Kandahar and the jump by the 173rd Airborne Brigade into Northern Iraq?  That wasn't too long ago. 

tomahawk6

Army.ca Legend
Reaction score
Not sure of your manning practices,but we got rid of some of the fat and still were able to function. This was at a time when were borrowing soldiers so that a unit could deploy to Europe, much like you guys are manning your Afghanistan rotations. Its not a criticism just an observation that we were in the same boat at one time not so long ago.

Armymedic

Army.ca Veteran
Mentor
Reaction score
One thing we do not have an excess of is middle age NCOs (6-14 yrs in), esp in the cbt arms. That is the demographic that CANSOF wants for thier units, and everyone else wants to keep inside of thiers. The recruiting cuts from the early/mid 90's is kicking the CF in the nuts right now.

GAP

Army.ca Legend
Subscriber
Donor
Mentor
Reaction score
St. Micheals Medical Team said:
One thing we do not have an excess of is middle age NCOs (6-14 yrs in), esp in the cbt arms. That is the demographic that CANSOF wants for thier units, and everyone else wants to keep inside of thiers

These are some of the most valuable personnel out there....they hit their peak around 6 years and for the next 6-8 years they pass on so much information as well as accomplish so much...

ArmyRick

Army.ca Veteran
Reaction score
I am currently involved in the training of regular force infantry and beleive me tomahawk, we CAN'T spare people. As it is I taught my last course starting off with 16 candidates in my section (48 in the platoon), and there is a continious flow of these courses. Our training system is VERY busy right now. I am hoping that the number of people we have produced in the last two years pays off for the infantry (I beleive it will).

TCBF

Army.ca Veteran
Reaction score
tomahawk6 said:
Recruit Gurhka's but I find it hard to believe that Canada cant recruit a 2000 man regiment. The Army is too small as it is and needs more trigger pullers and I am sure there are wasteful personnel practices with folks. We had the same problem in the late 90's early 2000. People were moved out of staff,school house and other places they were hiding and manned our combat units to 104%.

- Who will wield the knife?  One man's oxygen thief is another man's sacred cow.  We always seem to cut the very people we so desparately need two years later.  Military Human Resources is to Human Resources the way Military Music is to Music...

tomahawk6 said:
The reality for me is that a Canadian naval contingency force could not arrive in time to be useful, so that just leaves a force that can be deployed by air. Instead of an LPHD type ship buy a couple more C-17's.

- Airheads are an expensive and very tenous way to go.  Without sealift, rail and/or road, the force you can project (and the missions it can undertake) are limited.

tomahawk6 said:
If there was the will to fully man the CF,by will I mean money, you could offer bonus' to bring in more recruits and offer other types of incentives. We know it works, we're doing it.

- We sold our soul to the devil in the late sixties when we tied our structure to the public service.  This was done so retiring officers could move laterally into the PS and keep their seniority and pension.  Eventually, women discovered a 'glass ceiling' imposed by all of the retiring male officers taking the executive positions the women had hacked and clawed their way up to compete for.  That ended that - but we are still stapled to the PS for our pay and benefits envelope.  No flexibility there.

N.Grundle

Reaction score
Just wondering' I've searched everywhere and can't seem to find any "hard" evidence if the Marine Commando Regiment really exists/is currently being made or is it just a media rumour? Don't freak on me if its been answered already, cause i checked a lot of places...

N.Grundle

Reaction score
but there was an article about the JTF2 moving to trenton and they mentioned a Marine Commando Regiment.

PO2FinClk

Reaction score
N.Grundle said:
but there was an article
Media rumour, we have no Marines. Besides, that same article said it was included in the "Canada First" defence paper ... which has yet to be released. In fact, the CDS issued a CANFORGEN dispelling these very same rumours which also stated to wait until it is officially released. Who knows when though.

Armymedic

Army.ca Veteran
Mentor
Reaction score
N.Grundle said:
but there was an article about the JTF2 moving to trenton and they mentioned a Marine Commando Regiment.

There was once an article in a very reputable newspaper that told a young girl named Virgina that there is a Santa Clus too....

Armymedic

Army.ca Veteran
Mentor
Reaction score
George Wallace said:
Are you insinuating that you don't believe it to be true?   :eek:

Uhm....no. I mean yes. No, I mean no.

Or how about just because an idea or concept is printed, does not mean it is physically real.

But you got to like the sarcasm. No?