My time as an English soldier in Quebec City

Dissident

Army.ca Veteran
Reaction score
Repeat after me:

Voo-Lay voo muh don-ay un koo duh pee-ay dun le khuu, sil-voo-play.

dimsum

Army.ca Fixture
Mentor
Reaction score
Baden Guy said:
Then again I understand this outfit has openings:

http://www.defencejobs.gov.au/airforce/

>:D :D

Since I get asked this by others on a seemingly-weekly basis, Lateral Transfers are pretty much over unless you have x-thousand hours fast jet and QFI/FCI time.  :p

Then again, on the "grass is greener on the other side" bit, I've had a few RAAF (and one ex-USN) folks ask about Lateral transfer to the RCAF. 

runormal

Reaction score
I'm wondering If the CF provides some sort of quickstart guide for anglophones going to Valcartier/Bagottville. In September I'm going to Quebec City and studying French as a second language at ulaval. I've also got an attach posting at the local sigs unit. I've been advised by them, that I will have someone who will buddy up with me in order to ease the transistion.

So far I've looked into ALLIES (which I haven't had too much time to play with), and duolingo on my phone.

I'm just wondering if there any other resources that the CF provides to ease the transition. I speak minimal French at the moment and I am a class A reservist.

Cheers

dimsum

Army.ca Fixture
Mentor
Reaction score
runormal said:
I'm wondering If the CF provides some sort of quickstart guide for anglophones going to Valcartier/Bagottville. In September I'm going to Quebec City and studying French as a second language at ulaval. I've also got an attach posting at the local sigs unit. I've been advised by them, that I will have someone who will buddy up with me in order to ease the transistion.

So far I've looked into ALLIES (which I haven't had too much time to play with), and duolingo on my phone.

I'm just wondering if there any other resources that the CF provides to ease the transition. I speak minimal French at the moment and I am a class A reservist.

Cheers

Maybe look at what's available at Naval Reserve HQ or NCSM MONTCALM in Pointe-a-Carcy?  There are definitely Anglos posted to NAVRESHQ.

Happy Guy

Reaction score
Interesting thread.

BLUF: Life is what you make of it.

As an unilingual Anglophone I was posted to the FMC HQ St Hubert (outside of Montreal) in the early 1990s from Petawawa.  I worried because of the perceived hatred by the French towards the English, but this was offset by the possibility of meeting gorgeous Quebecoise women.  When I got there I had the guys start teaching me simple phrases like ordering a pizza and so forth.  They eventually put me on a half day French course three times a week.  I was introduced to a beautiful Quebecoise, married her and started a life long intensive French course with her.  Over twenty years of marriage, three children, eight moves I can't be happier.

In general I've not a had a problem with the French vs the English thing.  You can think that a lot of negative kinds thrown at you but perhaps this your defensive screens being thrown up and you're being too sensitive.

Enjoy life, enjoy the adventure.

Oldgateboatdriver

Army.ca Veteran
Reaction score
So that's where all the beautiful Quebecoises are disappearing to.

But I got my revenge: I'm a Quebecois who married an (English) Ontarian girl and brought her to the Dark Side.

Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! (Don't forget: Just for Laughs Festival - Montreal, July 8 to 28, 2015)

daftandbarmy

Army.ca Myth
Reaction score
Oldgateboatdriver said:
So that's where all the beautiful Quebecoises are disappearing to.

But I got my revenge: I'm a Quebecois who married an (English) Ontarian girl and brought her to the Dark Side.

Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! (Don't forget: Just for Laughs Festival - Montreal, July 8 to 28, 2015)

I spent New Years' in Old Montreal this year with my family. It was fantastic. And English only wasn't an issue.

If you have a lousy time there you can look in the mirror for the reason!