• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Initiatives launched to retain and increase RCAF personnel experience levels

CBH99

Army.ca Veteran
Donor
Reaction score
I should have also clarified -- my experience in Cold Lake was very limited, was quite some time ago, and I was there due to employment in the oil industry.

So I will absolutely be the first one to say, my experience in Cold Lake was very limited. 

Quirky

Reaction score
Tcm621 said:
You are supposed to do your job well, that's the minimum, and when they are promoting 5 of 200 it won't cut it. You can argue the mess stuff isn't important to your job but as long as they give you points for it it will continue to be important for promotion.

Promotion isn’t the end all be all in the CF. Everyone is so keen on getting promoted then they are miserable getting posted to places like cold lake for pennies extra a month. Somehow I managed to make it to the Snr NCO rank without doing any of that half way through my career. From what I’ve seen, those who are keen on every secondary duty are bad techs and their extra mess duties are irrelevant anyway because they don’t make it to the boards. I won’t force anyone to fill positions they don’t want to do, especially if their primary duty is keeping aircraft flyable. We are short on qualified and experienced pers as it is, last thing they need to worry about is planning the next TGIF.

kev994

Subscriber
Reaction score
daftandbarmy said:
Is 'The Mess Stuff' on the PER anywhere? Just wondering....
I’ve seen Wing secondary duties given points on the Wing level ranking board for Capt, I think this would count. No points for whether you can actually pilot an aircraft.

SupersonicMax

Army.ca Veteran
Mentor
Reaction score
My advice to subordinates is to excel at their job before volunteering for “PER boosting” activities.  And even then, those activities should be aimed at improving your work environment and shaping it.  To me, this is worth a lot more than someone doing things solely to boost their PER.

If you can’t do your job effectively, it is a non-starter for me.

TCM621

Subscriber
Reaction score
daftandbarmy said:
Is 'The Mess Stuff' on the PER anywhere? Just wondering....

If not, there are other ways to reward/ recognize those who make other types of contributions, apart from promotion.

It's in the SCRIT under potential. Major mess positions like PMC are considered a major secondary duty and was worth 2 points on Cpl and MCpl pers last year. It can also be worth 1 point under community involvement. More points are made off of section 3 than people think.

The second part of your statement isn't really true though. Sure we also sorts of things that are basically formal attaboys but their only real value is towards promotion and most of them don't even give you that. The Maj telling everybody how well you did on a project at a parade feels good but that and $3.50 will buy you a cup of coffee at best.

daftandbarmy

Army.ca Myth
Reaction score
Tcm621 said:
It's in the SCRIT under potential. Major mess positions like PMC are considered a major secondary duty and was worth 2 points on Cpl and MCpl pers last year. It can also be worth 1 point under community involvement. More points are made off of section 3 than people think.

The second part of your statement isn't really true though. Sure we also sorts of things that are basically formal attaboys but their only real value is towards promotion and most of them don't even give you that. The Maj telling everybody how well you did on a project at a parade feels good but that and $3.50 will buy you a cup of coffee at best.

And, of course, in the absence of real operations I assume that these 'peacetime points' will become more important.

Eye In The Sky

Army.ca Fixture
Reaction score
Tcm621 said:

The last SCRIT I was provided (2019), it is Section E - Secondary/Community.  Sqn/unit level = .2, Base level = .4, community involvement (volunteer) = .4 for a total of 1 pt. 

This forms 20% of the Potential score and is worth a max of 1 point.  The Potential section accounts for 38% of total PER score and is marked to a max of 18 pts.

Performance accounts for 60% of the score.  If someone is a shitpump at their job, but the PMC of the Mess and Chairperson of the "Helping Elderly People Cross the Street Committee" in their neighborhood, in the perfect world their PER, scoring and meriting should reflect that...

Fairly different SCRITs, though...