• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

I want to hear about where your interest for the military comes from!

FSTO

Army.ca Veteran
Reaction score
Born and raised on a farm in SW MB. Watched TV shows like Rat Patrol and Hogan's Hero's and movies like The Great Escape, Where Eagles Dare, The Longest Day. Read all the Patrick O'Brian books.

Journeyman

Army.ca Legend
Subscriber
Reaction score
I didn't have to have an interest in the military.

I came home one day and announced that I'd quit high school;  my dad threw my in the car and dumped me at the Recruiters, saying "make your own way home."  Five weeks later I was in Cornwallis (recruiting timelines were apparently magical back then ;) )

Best decision I never made.

Xylric

Reaction score
mariomike said:
That's interesting. My uncle was in the RCAF. The entire 7-man crew ( Lancaster ) went MIA in eastern France six weeks after D-Day.

If you don't mind me asking, did your relative survive the war?

For another 55 years or so. He went MIA because he was injured, transferred to a hospital, and it took three months for the paperwork to catch up.  :rofl:

mariomike

Army.ca Legend
Staff member
Directing Staff
Subscriber
Mentor
Reaction score
That's good news. He was one of the lucky ones.  :)

Xylric

Reaction score
mariomike said:
That's good news. He was one of the lucky ones.  :)

Yes, he was, but it still meant that my grandfather at 17 had to read the telegram about his going missing to his mother. He cited that telegram as the reason he eventually became a pacifist (and the reason why he went to enlist).

The funny thing is, essentially the only reason why he got caught is that the recruiting station he went to.... was manned by the principal of his high school.

SquidMeister

Reaction score
I've always been interested in military history, video games, novels, all that jazz, and I've always had an inkling that I would be interested in joining the military, but in my school years I was completely out of shape.  In the last year I have shed a bunch of weight and with me not being sure what I want to do with my life, the military seems like a good option now.  Serve my country and find out where I want to go in life and all that jazz.