• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

GG Payette resigns 21 Jan 2021

RangerRay

Reaction score
The intent was for the GG to be a terminal position, and ensure that the individual would be set for retirement and not forced into other careers, potentially incompatible with the vice-regal role, post appointment. Selecting someone mid-career has been the exception, rather than the rule.

(Similar stresses now with Supreme Court justices retiring and resuming the practice of law...)
Or it was a stepping stone to becoming the Viceroy of India. :)

CBH99

Army.ca Veteran
Donor
Reaction score
I understand that the GG is a terminal position, similar to a PM or President. They are the face of the country in some respects - totally understand it is a terminal position.

However, that is on the presumption that the individual serves honourably & conducts themselves in a way that reflects such a position.

If one behaves honourably and kindly, and conducts their duties professionally. Absolutely.

If one behaves like an unprofessional little tyrant, is subject to multiple investigations, and is thrown out of every position they have due to being a bully & sabotaging the organizations they work for. No no...no absurd compensation for you.

Honestly I need to get into politics. I really do. I feel like I could do some real good in many ways. And if not? That’s cool. Pay me a gigantic amount of money for my incompetence & I’ll be on my way 🤷🏼‍♂️🤦🏼‍♂️

dowadiddy

Reaction score
I don't think Canada would be prepared for the double body blow that would be reopening the constitution and turning into a effective republic at the same time.
I know. The current opinion is why re-open the constitution because everyone would have their own wish list and there would be no agrement and frankly the Cdn public is not clamouring for a change. But at some point I am sure whatever government in power will debate the republican option. BTW, I don`t foresee a double body blow. If we change to a republic it would be in name only. I foresee keeping the parliamentary system - no change. The only change would be that the President of Canada function like GG now, be an emminent Cdn (no celebrities) with a background such as former CDS, PM, Premier, supreme court justice, president of major university who might also oversee the Senate (I like the idea of keeping an uppper house in some form). I foresee the Cdn Forces enrolment changed to something like: I SWEAR THAT I WILL BEAR TRUE ALLEGIANCE TO CANADA, ITS LAWS AND TO THE ARMED FORCES. I WILL DEFEND MY COUNTRY AND PERFORM MY LAWFUL DUTY TO THE BEST OF MY ABILITY, SO HELP ME GOD. I`m not a a strict adherant to any religion but am a person of some faith and belief in a higher power.

dowadiddy

Reaction score
I rather like the Constitutional monarchy. You don't see many commonwealth realms get involved in the kind of political instability that republics find themselves in.
Actually the British monarchy has had lots of upheavel: 1776 - U.S. Revolutionary War, 20th Century - IRA, 1960s - FLQ Canada, 20th Century - India, "2000s - BREXIT. Monarchies in general have had TONS of upheaval: Russia 1917, Germany 1914, Japan 1941.

daftandbarmy

Army.ca Myth
Reaction score
Actually the British monarchy has had lots of upheavel: 1776 - U.S. Revolutionary War, 20th Century - IRA, 1960s - FLQ Canada, 20th Century - India, "2000s - BREXIT. Monarchies in general have had TONS of upheaval: Russia 1917, Germany 1914, Japan 1941.

Luckliy for the Royals, the French had a disastrous experience during their revolution, which helped ensure that the other monarchies in Europe were able to stave off, and crush, revolt by pointing to France as an awful example of what could happen when you let the mob take over :)

dapaterson

Army.ca Myth
Subscriber
Donor
Reaction score
Paris: Great food and wine.

London: Overrun by Russian oligarchs laundering their money through the Channel isles with the help of London bankers.

YMMV.