• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Damages to Vandra

Good2Golf

Army.ca Legend
Staff member
Directing Staff
Subscriber
Mentor
Reaction score
Colin P said:
Speaking of fuel polishing, here is a video on a Nordhaven 43 fuel system, just in case you win the lottery and want to step up. I swear Norhaven engine rooms are a Temple for piping geeks  ;D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C7d-ZpvmWLE

Colin, when I win LottoMAX, it’ll be either a Nord 43 or 47. :nod:

Colin Parkinson

Army.ca Legend
Reaction score
When you win the lottery but can't decide between a trawler yacht or a sailboat, get one that combines both! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WEOMNgwmFg0

Good2Golf

Army.ca Legend
Staff member
Directing Staff
Subscriber
Mentor
Reaction score
Colin P said:
When you win the lottery but can't decide between a trawler yacht or a sailboat, get one that combines both! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WEOMNgwmFg0

56MS is a really nice ship...might upscale to that.  I was going to put a Hobie on my 47, but the 56MS seems a sensible(-ish) choice.

Love the Nords.  Haven’t seen a crappily-finished one yet.

ps. Sorry Abdullah, for the ‘de-rail’.... ;)

AbdullahD

Subscriber
Reaction score
Colin P said:
Speaking of fuel polishing, here is a video on a Nordhaven 43 fuel system, just in case you win the lottery and want to step up. I swear Norhaven engine rooms are a Temple for piping geeks  ;D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C7d-ZpvmWLE

Haha Nordhavns are quite quite nice boats, but realistically I'll never be able to afford to take one around the world ^^ super clean engine room though, makes me jealous haha and all that room!

Target Up said:
Go all in and put in a Sabre marine diesel as long as you feel like spending money.

Haha  yeah I am broke compared to some, my Perkins is running strong and having thought about it a rebuild will be best lol. The 4.108 is apparently well loved in the sailing world.

Colin P said:

😍😍😍 time to go buy a ticket! That is beautiful! I dare not show the wife haha.

Good2Golf said:
56MS is a really nice ship...might upscale to that.  I was going to put a Hobie on my 47, but the 56MS seems a sensible(-ish) choice.

Love the Nords.  Haven’t seen a crappily-finished one yet.

ps. Sorry Abdullah, for the ‘de-rail’.... ;)

All good ^^ pretty much all up to date and nothing new to add anyways ^^ I am using that Instagram as a dump for my photos of the boat, so may be adding a few in a day or two here. Brother has rebedded all the chain plates, ghetto sealed the fresh water tanks (temp fix we plan on replacing) and fixxed tonnes of extra little things around the boat.

Vacation is coming up quickly ^^ July 7th and I am gone :) my buddy can't get up from Anacortes WA to give us lessons this year, so my brother will hopefully get time off to come out if not, we will be exploring Vancouver Island and Gabriola by land. My wifes cousin's has a Nordhavn (not sure what make) maybe I'll go "visit" him haha.. or just use our boat as a motorboat and go anchor out somewhere... likely not, I am an adventurous person but when the kids are involved I am a safety Nazi lol so probably do exploring on the Island if nothing works out. Such as life.

But side note, my wife and I were talking about what to do on Vacation for the second week since my buddy can't make it up and my son floated the idea of going back to barkerville again ^^ so we will likely do that too.

I am a long term planner. The boat has effectively had 30k of repairs and upgrades done to it in this year alone, so even if this year is a write off for learning to sail. Well eventually she should stop costing 30k/yr haha.. ha.. :,( lol and I can spend that money on lessons getting my wife and I certified to a very competent level and lots of lessons on top. I want to circumnavigate, as a kid wanted to join the Navy to do so.. now due to health issues and well.. let's just say me and bootcamp would be an.. issue lol. I intend on taking my own boat to do it since it is still a bucket list item for me :) (wife wants to RV north America and possibly europe after too :S haha).

In the last year, I have buried enough friends to truly realize my time here is not guaranteed. So I will take some risks to make the most of my time here.

And ugh the railway. So far this month 2 fatalities in BC, 3? Derailments on the north line (pg to rupert) and countless times of decisions being made to keep us from our families. So screw em ;) I'll use them, because they pay, but after I'm set up, I'm gone ^^ (albeit I'll be begrudgingly thankful for what they helped me do in life).

Abdullah

P.s Colin your evil, that is one sexy motorsailer (if I have the correct term haha)

Good2Golf

Army.ca Legend
Staff member
Directing Staff
Subscriber
Mentor
Reaction score
So Abdullah, your at BOAT30 so far for the year? (Break Out Another Thousand x 30). ;D

The mental relaxation that will come from using the boat for its intended purpose will be well worth it, no doubt!

Colin Parkinson

Army.ca Legend
Reaction score
Perkins are great little engines. The key with cruising/sailing/boating is take it in baby steps. Do  a day cruise to check things out. Then one overnighter to see what else you need. sail in good/moderate conditions. There should be a fair number of sailors at the marina you can talk with, even crew one of their boats to learn sailing skills. People who race are always looking for crew. The Gulf Islands have a lot of nice spots to poke around in and good charts and sailing guides.

AbdullahD

Subscriber
Reaction score
Colin P said:
Perkins are great little engines. The key with cruising/sailing/boating is take it in baby steps. Do  a day cruise to check things out. Then one overnighter to see what else you need. sail in good/moderate conditions. There should be a fair number of sailors at the marina you can talk with, even crew one of their boats to learn sailing skills. People who race are always looking for crew. The Gulf Islands have a lot of nice spots to poke around in and good charts and sailing guides.

Amen man, I had originally planned on having my buddy come up and do a week on the water with us. He is a USCG certified 6-pack 100 tonne captain and I told him it would be psuedo Lessons and more Vacation.. he was excited to do it. But that was my plan, just ease into it. I figure over the next 5 years, I should be able to get relatively competent over summer vacations to start circumnavigating.

But sadly I live in New Hazelton these days and getting time off from work is a joke, so I am limited to Vacations. I am okay with it, I will do what I have to, to learn (as in talk a co-worker of mine who use to race down in Cali to actually buy a lake boat and steal it all the time ^^.. yeah I have no morals lol or well summer vacation lessons).

Good2Golf said:
So Abdullah, your at BOAT30 so far for the year? (Break Out Another Thousand x 30). ;D

The mental relaxation that will come from using the boat for its intended purpose will be well worth it, no doubt!

Couple this with Colins post about baby steps and yeah.. imagine if I wanted to get new freshwater tanks, diesel tanks, sails, boom (changing it to be safer upon recommendation from Robert Perry), watermaker, solar, on top of what we had planned... ouch...

But yeah last year we went out a few times and it was great as a family Vacation, plus the kids really got to know their crazy Uncle :) which is a huge bonus aside from daddy not being a coffee addicted grouch haha.

Abdullah

stoker dave

Reaction score
Abdullah,

I recommend you look at the forums on the website www.sailinganarchy.com.  Those fora can be kinda rough around the edges and are not for the faint of heart.  But the level of knowledge and experience there (particularly look at 'cruising anarchy' forum and 'fix it anarchy' forum) is astonishing.  The designer of your boat (Bob Perry) is a frequent contributor. 

Take any specific questions about your boat to those guys.  They may not give you the right answer right away (expect some snide comments and unhelpful sidebars) but when they do reply you can have high confidence it is exactly what you need.

I have owned, raced and cruised keelboats for most of my life.  It is all a wonderful experience.  Fair winds to you!

Colin Parkinson

Army.ca Legend
Reaction score
There was a "yacht Club" at Granisle years ago, as I recall one sailboat in the water.

Granisle Boat Club:
For more information please contact Tom 250-319-6853

AbdullahD

Subscriber
Reaction score
stoker dave said:
Abdullah,

I recommend you look at the forums on the website www.sailinganarchy.com.  Those fora can be kinda rough around the edges and are not for the faint of heart.  But the level of knowledge and experience there (particularly look at 'cruising anarchy' forum and 'fix it anarchy' forum) is astonishing.  The designer of your boat (Bob Perry) is a frequent contributor. 

Take any specific questions about your boat to those guys.  They may not give you the right answer right away (expect some snide comments and unhelpful sidebars) but when they do reply you can have high confidence it is exactly what you need.

I have owned, raced and cruised keelboats for most of my life.  It is all a wonderful experience.  Fair winds to you!

Thanks Kindly mate, I have ran into them. I do peruse their pages occasionally same with Cruisers forum.. but I got lucky. I was facebooking a year or so ago and ran into the "Robert Perry Fanpage" so since I had a boat designed by Mr.Perry I said what the hell and joined up. I have been BSing with him a lot and he has been giving my brother and I a LOT of good advice, hints, tips and tricks. Which amazed me, I never thought a yacht designer would answer questions for a pleb like me.. so I am a fan of his now for sure haha (he is rough around the edges too^^). We have "friended" eachother on FB and he is following along with our endeavors to Rebuild Vandra our V40. She is a blister era boat, which so get a lot of hate.. but yeah maybe that helped sell us lol.

It is amazing the amount of resources out there. My brothers buddy, if I recall the story correctly, was somehow connected to the builder of that site.. so yeah it is up there. Lot's of know-how and lots of know-it-alls too lol. Woops I am rambling now haha, but yeah the Anarchist are quite good albeit I search their website instead of post.. I have really limited my internet travels.. to much drama, tough guys etc.. don't have time for it. I have noticed the sailing community in real life, is nothing short of amazing.. just in this last year the help we have received has amazed me.. feels like how Canada was when I was growing up.. just helping people because it was the right thing to do. I have missed that and now that I found it, it is just.. wow :)

Okay I'll hush up now lol
Abdullah

Colin Parkinson

Army.ca Legend
Reaction score
Pull up a beverage and sit back and listen on how the guy who details Nordhavens looks after gelcoat/glass.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=05aRTj-O-lQ