Re: Reserve Officers

Answers:
1.  I don't believe you would go to St. Jean as a reserve officer (maybe for
some trades).  Assuming that you are going to a combat arm unit (because I
don't know the reference to the (Plough Jockeys'), you would go to Gagetown,
near Fredericton New Brunswick for training.  If given the option between
MITCP and RESO, take reso, as you will get at least 2 summers employment,
and much more detailed training.  All four combat arms train their officers
in Gagetown, and the majority of the courses are combined regular/reserve.
However, you would do a 4 week (? anyone know if this length is correct)
Phase 1 course before commencing trades training on Phase 2 (which is 13
weeks).  RESO Phase 1 is the equivelent of BOTC (Basic Officer Training
Course) for the Regs (shorter however).
2.  St. Jean is actually St. Jean-sur-Richelieu, about 20 km outside of
Montreal.  Not a bad location, but the 'Mega' sucks (a great big white
elephant of a building in which almost all of the base is located).  It's
the current location of the CF regular force recruit and BOTC courses.  In
addition, there is a language school there.
3.  Depending where you are, you may be able to get an NCM QL2 (basic
training) and possibly a QL3 (trades training) course over weekends in the
winter.  Most of the QL2/3 courses are run in the summers, and that is
probably the best option.  A combined QL2-3 course would be the quickest
method of getting trained (again most of a summer employment).  It is
important to note that you won't be able to do anything useful to the unit
until QL2 trained, and your work in your actual trade will be slim to none
until QL3 trained.
Steve