• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Sexual Misconduct Allegations in The CAF

daftandbarmy

Army.ca Myth
Reaction score
Meanwhile, in the national media....

What happens when an all-volunteer force loses the trust of its members and the public?​

The military's sexual misconduct crisis is turning into a national security problem, say experts

There was a time when putting an allied general in a compromising position was the sole dominion of foreign intelligence services.

No longer. And while there have been no indications to date that adversaries such as Russia and China have been involved in the ongoing sexual misconduct crisis gripping the Canadian military, the implications for national security are real and very stark, say U.S. military law experts.

The ethical and institutional wounds afflicting the Canadian Armed Forces all appear to be self-inflicted, as are those involving the actions of American military leaders.

Much of the commentary on the crisis in the military has focused on social and institutional justice — the promise of a long-awaited reckoning for survivors of sexual assault and sexual misconduct.

The flip side, seldom discussed, is how sexual misconduct can affect national security beyond the potential for blackmail scenarios — the kind of salacious stuff you find in spy fiction.

"I think it can present a real danger," said retired U.S. Army lieutenant-colonel Victor Hansen, a professor of law at the New England School of Law in Boston.

"I think it has ... very tangible direct consequences to national security, but I think it has longer-reaching, more intangible effects."

How sexual misconduct threatens recruitment​

The first danger, said Hansen, is to the military's talent pool — the skills and talents that are lost when victims start to wonder how they can remain loyal to an institution that allows misconduct to go unchecked, and decide to quit.

The Canadian military has seen that happen already, he said, citing the recent resignation of Lt.-Col. Eleanor Taylor — a highly decorated combat officer who served as a company commander in Afghanistan and as a senior staff officer with special forces.

Taylor "could have been an agent for change and she's walking away, saying, 'I can't be a part of this anymore. I've lost complete confidence in this system to do justice,'" said Hansen.

"That has real and long-lasting impacts on national security."

https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/mi...CBC News Top Headlines – Morning_1613_255288

Haggis

Army.ca Veteran
Reaction score
Most analysts expect we will see deep COVID debt related funding cuts to Defence in the very near future. Recruiting will not be critical in the face of force size and capability reductions.

OldSolduer

Army.ca Legend
Reaction score
Most analysts expect we will see deep COVID debt related funding cuts to Defence in the very near future. Recruiting will not be critical in the face of force size and capability reductions.
I’m expecting it too along with cancellations of capital acquisitions. No fighters, no ships and whatever else our nice hair PM doesn’t want. Worst GoC in my memory.

ArmyRick

Army.ca Veteran
Reaction score
We are about to see some really dark days for the CAF. It sucks because I believe 90-95% of the serving/previous members served with honour. It seems way too many senior leadership have too many accusations being thrown at them. I am pretty sure our opinion with the general public is going to tank.

Look at what a previous liberal government did to the Canadian Airborne Regiment in '95 when embarrassed by them. One swift stroke of a pen and done. If this becomes too much of a thorn in PM JT side (and its not something O'Toole can defend or justify), what drastic actions will this brand of Liberals take to show the public they are not tolerating this?

Colin Parkinson

Army.ca Legend
Reaction score
If someone says that the CF is not representative of Canada, you can propose National Service as a solution, that way we will have all the good and bad.

Altair

Army.ca Veteran
Reaction score
We are about to see some really dark days for the CAF. It sucks because I believe 90-95% of the serving/previous members served with honour. It seems way too many senior leadership have too many accusations being thrown at them. I am pretty sure our opinion with the general public is going to tank.

Look at what a previous liberal government did to the Canadian Airborne Regiment in '95 when embarrassed by them. One swift stroke of a pen and done. If this becomes too much of a thorn in PM JT side (and its not something O'Toole can defend or justify), what drastic actions will this brand of Liberals take to show the public they are not tolerating this?
I've heard this in terms of policing, but if you have 5 dishonourable soldiers and 95 honourable soldiers who don't do anything about them, what do you have?

100 dishonourable soldiers.

Brad Sallows

Army.ca Fixture
Reaction score
Doing nothing if you believe that doing something will result in no useful outcome and may cause hardship for yourself is not dishonourable. However, it would be amusing to see the politicians apply that rule very strictly to their own "Right Honourable" and "Honourable" selves.

The politicians promising things like a "reckoning" occupy exactly the same position relative to the CAF as the most senior officers of the CAF do to the rest of the CAF - compromised by the actions of their own peers and leaders, and therefore with very little standing to make any kind of threats, demands, promises, assurances, etc. Best to just keep quietly weeding the garden without any fanfare.

A credible presenter can not be anyone who is an acolyte of some flavour of fashionable socio-politics, or tainted by the appearance of it.

Altair

Army.ca Veteran
Reaction score
Doing nothing if you believe that doing something will result in no useful outcome and may cause hardship for yourself is not dishonourable. However, it would be amusing to see the politicians apply that rule very strictly to their own "Right Honourable" and "Honourable" selves.

The politicians promising things like a "reckoning" occupy exactly the same position relative to the CAF as the most senior officers of the CAF do to the rest of the CAF - compromised by the actions of their own peers and leaders, and therefore with very little standing to make any kind of threats, demands, promises, assurances, etc. Best to just keep quietly weeding the garden without any fanfare.

A credible presenter can not be anyone who is an acolyte of some flavour of fashionable socio-politics, or tainted by the appearance of it.
I hope that's true, because I know of about 2 more shoes to drop a la Gen Vance.

Either way, I'm looking forward to getting out.

Brad Sallows

Army.ca Fixture
Reaction score
If anyone who knows about something dishonourable - or more broadly, likely to eventually harm someone else if left unchecked - does nothing about it, then everyone is complicit in every ill thing they know of.

Altair

Army.ca Veteran
Reaction score
If anyone who knows about something dishonourable - or more broadly, likely to eventually harm someone else if left unchecked - does nothing about it, then everyone is complicit in every ill thing they know of.
Consensual as far as I know.

As for the military, well...

Mills Bomb

Reaction score
Some of the posts here scream out to me that any future training needs to be delivered by an outside agency who will deliver it properly.

It seems like that would be a logical idea. I suppose when or if a true outside agency takes over it could be best for them to provide the expectations rather than leaving it up to interpretation. We have people from PSP come in to teach us about fitness so it's certainly not impossible or much of a stretch.

Jarnhamar

Army.ca Legend
Reaction score
I think the problem here is that for most of us if we raise a complaint we don't have a recourse when the CoC says "ya, okay tracking, thanks, get back to work".
It seems like the only time the CAF takes things seriously is when someone goes to FaceBook or the Media.

I've reported stuff. As much of troglodyte as I may come across here I can fake articulation when required. Nothing. Its a big "Thanks...now fuck off"

OldSolduer

Army.ca Legend
Reaction score
I think the problem here is that for most of us if we raise a complaint we don't have a recourse when the CoC says "ya, okay tracking, thanks, get back to work".
It seems like the only time the CAF takes things seriously is when someone goes to FaceBook or the Media.

I've reported stuff. As much of troglodyte as I may come across here I can fake articulation when required. Nothing. Its a big "Thanks...now fuck off"
Or MYOFB Sergeant- that’s not your concern

Loachman

Former Army Pilot in Drag
Staff member
Directing Staff
Reaction score
Dennis Prager: The 6 Flaws in Human Nature That America Overcame to Become Great
By Dennis Prager February 15, 2021
ttps://www.westernjournal.com/dennis-prager-6-flaws-human-nature-america-overcame-become-great/

Given how flawed human nature is, America has been a remarkable moral achievement.

<snip>

No. 4: The sex drive.

Consider how many men have lost everything - their money, reputation, livelihood, even their family - in order to gratify their sex drive. The reason there has been so much irresponsible and sometimes evil sexual behavior is not because of “sexism” or “patriarchy,” but because of this drive.

The wonder is not how much sexual impropriety exists in America; the wonder is how little there is compared to the past, compared to virtually every society in history and compared to many societies today.

<snip>

Good2Golf

Army.ca Legend
Staff member
Directing Staff
Subscriber
Mentor
Reaction score

Direct to the NIS also works. I’ve done that a few times. Even got follow-up from some of my reports, which was encouraging.