• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Naval Ensign

Privateer

Full Member
Reaction score
0
Points
210
I suppose that the frigates and destroyers will need new "battle ensigns", to the extent that those are carried.
 

Ex-Dragoon

Army.ca Fixture
Reaction score
1
Points
0
God help the first couple of duty watches onboard for Colours and Sunset....for the first few I can see flags being hoisted, taken down and 1 person running forward and the other to the quarterdeck to swap out.
 

winnipegoo7

Member
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Pat in Halifax said:
I heard about this but couldn't find anything on it. Interesting.

34 warships-Are we hiding one somewhere???

3 x Destroyers
12 x Frigates
12 x MCDVs
4 x Submarines
2 x AORs
1 x HMCS ORIOLE

= 34
 

MARS

Sr. Member
Mentor
Reaction score
59
Points
380
Ex-Dragoon said:
God help the first couple of duty watches onboard for Colours and Sunset....for the first few I can see flags being hoisted, taken down and 1 person running forward and the other to the quarterdeck to swap out.

Exactly! I can't wait for some hapless OOD to come back off leave or something, having missed the announcement and think that his POOD is trying to mess with him.

The Deputy Fleet Commander sent an email to all of his COs directing us to personally ensure there are NO screw ups, for Sunday at least. 
 

cupper

Army.ca Veteran
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Oldgateboatdriver said:
Finally, the National flag is back at the place of honour on a ship: The Jackstaff.

And switching the Ol' Jack to become the Ensign is exactly what I proposed in these pages two years ago when the curl was reintroduced - Either someone in Ottawa is reading these pages or great minds think alike ;) .

The next question now: Will the CFAV's switch theirs too, so they now fly the Canadian Blue Ensign ?

Whoa! Whoa! Whoa! Let's take some time out here to absorb the change. Don't want to move too fast or it will just send you Navy types into a fantail spin. ;D
 

kratz

Moderator
Staff member
Directing Staff
Subscriber
Donor
Reaction score
34
Points
630
Oldgateboatdriver said:
The next question now: Will the CFAV's switch theirs too, so they now fly the Canadian Blue Ensign ?

Just had an RCN power point from the Buffer. The answer is no, the CFAVs will fly the new Ensign as well.
 

kratz

Moderator
Staff member
Directing Staff
Subscriber
Donor
Reaction score
34
Points
630
Just had an RCN power point from the Buffer. Here is the cut and past from it:

Who will be authorized to fly the
Canadian Naval Ensign?

• All 33 c ommissioned warships of the RCN
• HMCS Oriole
• All eight Orca-class Patrol Craft Training (PCT) vessels
• All Diving Tenders and TSRVs;
• All 24 NavalReserve Divisions; and
• All small boats whenever working away from the ship whether in domestic or international waters
 

Pat in Halifax

Sr. Member
Subscriber
Donor
Reaction score
0
Points
0
winnipegoo7 said:
3 x Destroyers
12 x Frigates
12 x MCDVs
4 x Submarines
2 x AORs
1 x HMCS ORIOLE

= 34

Oriole<>Warship; not buying it.
Finally got some word officially this afternoon.
 

Fishbone Jones

Army.ca Myth
Subscriber
Donor
Reaction score
195
Points
710
So do the Reserves fly them at their stone frigates or from their RHIBs?

If at the building, is there a fore and aft? Or do they just put everything on poles in the front? I know ours here has a quarterdeck but that's all I'm aware of regarding ship stations.
 

JorgSlice

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
0
Points
0
recceguy said:
So do the Reserves fly them at their stone frigates or from their RHIBs?

If at the building, is there a fore and aft? Or do they just put everything on poles in the front? I know ours here has a quarterdeck but that's all I'm aware of regarding ship stations.

HMCS Tecumseh has a mast (?) outside and also one inside on the parade deck where they fly all of the flags, ensigns, and colours.
 

Occam

Army.ca Veteran
Reaction score
2
Points
430
PrairieThunder said:
HMCS Tecumseh has a mast (?) outside and also one inside on the parade deck where they fly all of the flags, ensigns, and colours.

I'm sure a bunting tosser will be quick to correct me if I'm wrong, but the mast has several positions available for flying flags.  There's an order of precedence to the positions; if my memory hasn't failed me of doing colours/sunset on the parade square of Stadacona (when there actually was a parade square and not a parking lot), it went something like this:

1.  Gaff (the pole sticking out of the front of the mast, shown in the picture flying the Canadian flag)
2.  Outermost starboard halyard (when viewed from behind the mast; gaff pointing away from you)
3.  Outermost port halyard
4.  Next inboard starboard halyard
5.  Next inboard port halyard
6.  and so on...

Again, if memory hasn't failed me, we flew the Canadian Ensign, Naval Jack, and MARCOM flag, in that order of precedence.  I don't know if the recent order reverses the positions of the Canadian Ensign and Naval Jack, but that's my guess.
 

Occam

Army.ca Veteran
Reaction score
2
Points
430
recceguy said:
Couldn't they find a ship without a stove in bow, for the picture?  ;D

They had to use an older photo of a CPF; it's unlikely they'd find one in harbour these days, with much of the HALIFAX class either preparing for refit, in the midst of refit, or conducting post refit work and trials.  The ones not yet participating in FELEX haven't stood still long enough to get a picture.

And I know you're joking, but don't knock the anchor stowage position on the CPFs; it might look like someone took a chunk out of the bow, but it put an end to (most of) the lame "anchor pocket door" jokes from the days of the steamers.  ;)

 

Pat in Halifax

Sr. Member
Subscriber
Donor
Reaction score
0
Points
0
recceguy, your question was answered two posts before you posed it - probably a timing thing on posting.
Occam, there have been a bunch of CE guys off and on looking at the pole in front of ABlock (I currently work out of S15-I know; a stoker at CFNOS-raises the occasional eyebrow!). Whether that is to clean it up (it is in really BAD shape) or remove it, I don't know. I am not sure when that stopped actually and moved to in front of S90 only.
All said, the public wont really see the difference-As you point out Occam, the precedence of the Jack and national flag (both under new names) will be reversed.
 

daftandbarmy

Army.ca Relic
Reaction score
3,406
Points
1,060
Occam said:
They had to use an older photo of a CPF; it's unlikely they'd find one in harbour these days, with much of the HALIFAX class either preparing for refit, in the midst of refit, or conducting post refit work and trials.  The ones not yet participating in FELEX haven't stood still long enough to get a picture.

And I know you're joking, but don't knock the anchor stowage position on the CPFs; it might look like someone took a chunk out of the bow, but it put an end to (most of) the lame "anchor pocket door" jokes from the days of the steamers.  ;)

Another difference between the Navy and the other two services who, provided with a bow like that, would have painted a red mouth with white teeth and a pair of feline type eyes around it by now. Grrrrr.....  :nod:
 

cupper

Army.ca Veteran
Reaction score
0
Points
0
daftandbarmy said:
Another difference between the Navy and the other two services who, provided with a bow like that, would have painted a red mouth with white teeth and a pair of feline type eyes around it by now. Grrrrr.....  :nod:

Only the RCAF would do that. The Army would paint the whole ship in a 3 tone camo.

Except one regiment which would paint the whole ship white.
 

Tank Troll

Full Member
Reaction score
0
Points
0
cupper said:
Only the RCAF would do that. The Army would paint the whole ship in a 3 tone camo.

Except one regiment which would paint the whole ship white.


And which regiment would that be?  :stirpot:
 

Edward Campbell

Army.ca Myth
Subscriber
Donor
Mentor
Reaction score
268
Points
910
And the new white ensign is "worn" (I think that's the right term) for the first time in Canadian waters/on Canadian soil by HMCS Cabot, in St John's, this morning.

BJfzuhXCAAA-ul1.jpg:large


I'm assuming that's the proper location ... the gaff?

Looks just fine.
 

Edward Campbell

Army.ca Myth
Subscriber
Donor
Mentor
Reaction score
268
Points
910
NFLD Sapper said:
You in town Edward?


St. John's? No ... sadly.

I forgot to "source" the picture  :-[  ... it was posted by COMRCN, presumably it's from the navy's in house PR machine.
 
Top