• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

All things Novel Coronavirus (2019-nCoV)

Fishbone Jones

Army.ca Myth
Subscriber
Donor
Reaction score

mariomike

Army.ca Legend
Staff member
Directing Staff
Subscriber
Mentor
Reaction score
Like I said, "some may not find this of interest". 🙄

From your link,

• Overall, we rate Slate, moderately Left Biased based on story selection and editorial positions that favor the left and High for factual reporting due to proper sourcing and a reasonable fact check record.

Good2Golf

Army.ca Legend
Staff member
Directing Staff
Subscriber
Mentor
Reaction score
Fair enough. I was only relaying what I heard on the radio. But yes, Ontario has a bad comms record.
I think fair to say, that every level of government has a bad comms record. At this point, at least a number of provinces, Ontario included, have openly acknowledged when they’ve done it wrong (Ford’s we didn’t think out the closing parks thing, etc.) To date, unless I’ve missed it, the Feds are pretty much unrepentant...still all prancing unicorns and magic dust.

Remius

Army.ca Veteran
Reaction score
I think fair to say, that every level of government has a bad comms record. At this point, at least a number of provinces, Ontario included, have openly acknowledged when they’ve done it wrong (Ford’s we didn’t think out the closing parks thing, etc.) To date, unless I’ve missed it, the Feds are pretty much unrepentant...still all prancing unicorns and magic dust.
I can agree on that. Our city has designtated hot spots but the province only considers some of them hot spots and vice versa.

Bruce Monkhouse

Army.ca Myth
Staff member
Directing Staff
Subscriber
Reaction score
She’s a designated caregiver for him. There are times when the nurses call her in to calm him down. He’s in an LTC facility not a retirement residence. That’s why.
Thanks.......I hope she has better luck in the future.

RangerRay

Reaction score
Comms had been poor all around. Top that off with “Even if your vaccinated, there’s no changes”. No incentive, other than your own health. They should be saying “If we get x people fully vaccinated, we can go back to some semblance of normal”. I mean, that’s the point of vaccinating, right?

I understand it’s not known how well the vaccine works with future mutations, but to tell people that there will be no changes despite how many are fully vaccinated will not encourage more people to get it.

Edited for spelling.

Last edited:

Remius

Army.ca Veteran
Reaction score
We have enough lies from politicians as it is......why would I want more? If you don't know then say so.....
true. I’d rather they say they don’t know. And they have I think. At least that’s an expectation of some sort. Right now even with vaccinations coming in our waste water testing is on a downward trajectory but we are still higher than the 1st and 2nd wave.

btw. No super powers but I feel like someone punched my arm lol.

lenaitch

Reaction score
Comms had been poor all around. Top that off with “Even if your vaccinated, there’s no changes”. No incentive, other than your own health. They should be saying “If we get x people fully vaccinated, we can go back to some semblance of normal”. I mean, that’s the point of vaccinating, right?

I understand it’s not known how well the vaccine works with future mutations, but to tell people that there will be no changes despite how many are fully vaccinated will not encourage more people to get it.

Edited for spelling.

Perhaps when we reach something approaching herd immunity. Herd immunity varied with diseases but is typically in the range of 80-90% vaccinated. I don't think they really know what the required vaccination rate is, yet. Regardless, we are at roughly 30% with one-shot vaccination and only 3% 'fully', so clearly a ways to go yet.

daftandbarmy

Army.ca Myth
Reaction score
Perhaps when we reach something approaching herd immunity. Herd immunity varied with diseases but is typically in the range of 80-90% vaccinated. I don't think they really know what the required vaccination rate is, yet. Regardless, we are at roughly 30% with one-shot vaccination and only 3% 'fully', so clearly a ways to go yet.

Plan for two years (from last May, apparently) if all goes well:

Coronavirus outbreak likely to go on for two years, scientists predict​

The coronavirus pandemic is likely to last between 18 and 24 months, scientists from the University of Minnesota have predicted.

In a report published Thursday, researchers from the university’s Center for Infectious Disease Research and Policy (CIDRAP) stressed that Covid-19 was more contagious than the flu and was likely to continue circulating after a first wave this spring.

The new coronavirus has a longer incubation period than the flu, meaning it takes longer for symptoms to appear after a person has been infected, they said, noting that the coronavirus may be at its most contagious before symptoms appear. It was also pointed out that Covid-19 has displayed a higher rate of asymptomatic transmission, as well as a higher R0 rating than influenza.

PuckChaser

Army.ca Fixture
Staff member
Directing Staff
Mentor
Reaction score
Israel is a good indicator, they hit 50% fully vaccinated and cases plummeted from 5k per day to sub 300.

OceanBonfire

Reaction score
Alberta is now reporting the highest number of COVID-19 cases per capita in all of Canada and the United States:

daftandbarmy

Army.ca Myth
Reaction score
Wow...

More than 5,000 international air travellers positive for COVID-19 since February​

More than 5,000 people tested positive for COVID-19 after flying back to Canada since mandatory quarantine hotels began in late February.

That includes 3,748 people who tested positive the day they returned despite having to show a negative COVID-19 test taken no more than three days before they boarded their plane.

Forty per cent of those people were infected with one of the three variants of concern Canada is tracking.

Another 1,411 people tested positive on the test required 10 days after they returned.

The data is now current as of last Thursday, and the number of confirmed variants among travellers is three times as high as the data reported from seven days earlier as more test results were submitted to the Public Health Agency of Canada.

Remius

Army.ca Veteran
Reaction score
Israel is a good indicator, they hit 50% fully vaccinated and cases plummeted from 5k per day to sub 300.
Yeah, I think we won’t achieve herd immunity for a while but we’ll certainly see a reduction in numbers hopefully.

Altair

Army.ca Veteran
Reaction score
Yeah, I think we won’t achieve herd immunity for a while but we’ll certainly see a reduction in numbers hopefully.
We already might have.

A certain province has more or less avoided a third wave.

daftandbarmy

Army.ca Myth
Reaction score
Alberta is now reporting the highest number of COVID-19 cases per capita in all of Canada and the United States:

Number One Season 4 Episode 12 GIF

CBH99

Army.ca Veteran
Donor
Reaction score
Wow...

More than 5,000 international air travellers positive for COVID-19 since February​

More than 5,000 people tested positive for COVID-19 after flying back to Canada since mandatory quarantine hotels began in late February.

That includes 3,748 people who tested positive the day they returned despite having to show a negative COVID-19 test taken no more than three days before they boarded their plane.

Forty per cent of those people were infected with one of the three variants of concern Canada is tracking.

Another 1,411 people tested positive on the test required 10 days after they returned.

The data is now current as of last Thursday, and the number of confirmed variants among travellers is three times as high as the data reported from seven days earlier as more test results were submitted to the Public Health Agency of Canada.

Great job at 'closing the borders' there federal government. Well done.

And requiring travellers to show proof of a negative Covid test before boarding a Canada bound plane? Also being executed flawlessly.

Just fantastic. Top reviews. :mad: :cry: (So ticked off...)

blacktriangle

Army.ca Veteran
Reaction score
Great job at 'closing the borders' there federal government. Well done.

And requiring travellers to show proof of a negative Covid test before boarding a Canada bound plane? Also being executed flawlessly.

Just fantastic. Top reviews. :mad: :cry: (So ticked off...)
For a post-national state, we still seem to pay a lot of federal tax...

Gotta keep the PM decked in the latest lululemon, I guess.