• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

All Things CF Firefighter (merged)

Towards_the_gap

Sr. Member
Reaction score
1
Points
210
Why should they get Spec1?

If it's to compete with civvy street wages, then sure, but if it's for the technical complexity of the job, then I don't think so. I'm saying this as a civvy firefighter, it's not a rocket science job by any means. As a Combat Engineer Sergeant, I found myself responsible for far more technical tasks with a greater chance of catastrophic failure than anything I've seen as a firefighter.

My  :2c:
 

AMcC

Guest
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Thank you SkyZ made the mistake of traveling before I got my G2. Can't wait to get back home and get the ball rolling on my next life venture!
 

SkyZ

New Member
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Towards_the_gap said:
Why should they get Spec1?

If it's to compete with civvy street wages, then sure, but if it's for the technical complexity of the job, then I don't think so. I'm saying this as a civvy firefighter, it's not a rocket science job by any means. As a Combat Engineer Sergeant, I found myself responsible for far more technical tasks with a greater chance of catastrophic failure than anything I've seen as a firefighter.

My  :2c:

Just my  :2c: then;

In 3 years of the trade I have been trained;

- Fire Fighter 1 and 2 w/ Airfield Deployed OPs
- HazMat Technician combined with CBRN Tech taught by CJIRU because we deal along side with them on CBRN incidents
- Urban Search and Rescue which includes schooling in building construction combined with structural collapse operations
- Technical Rope Rescue
- EMR
- Ice, water and confined space rescue as well as other more general difficult rescue

and I'm just on my 5's now learning more. And the above doesn't take into consideration the other things we learn like dealing with water systems, wildland etc. that everyone needs to learn.

Not rocket science. Sure. But you downsizing the amount of information that is in the average QL3's fire fighters head is pretty ignorant. The average civi firefighter would have Fire Fighter 1 (maybe 2) and first aid.

I may sound a little salty saying this, but by no means do I think fire fighters should be getting paid the same as a clerk. I am by no means putting down other trades by saying that, but the real fact of the matter is we do 9 months of schooling for our QL3s, 5 months for our QL5s and get put into hazardous situations on a daily basis. But again if you ask any firefighter why he does what he does it will never be because of the money. The truth is, if they don't want to pay us more, stop teaching us more. I can even turn the question to you and ask why do the Military Police get spec pay? Why do SAR Techs? Why does any trade? But before you answer that, try and compare it to what I have stated in this post.

Your saying you were responsible for technical tasks with a high chance of catastrophic failure as a sergeant. Were put in a leadership role on a scene after our 5's when most are still cpls where there is more chances of a little problem turning into a huge one. Just because you havn't seen anything doesn't mean it isn't there.
 

NSRecruit

Guest
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Just wondering out of curiosity what kind of call volume you have as a Military Firefighter. I understand that it is lower than most civvy dept but was wondering if anyone was able to give ball park figures?
 

SkyZ

New Member
Reaction score
0
Points
0
NSRecruit said:
Just wondering out of curiosity what kind of call volume you have as a Military Firefighter. I understand that it is lower than most civvy dept but was wondering if anyone was able to give ball park figures?

Depends on the hall and time of year. There will be some shifts where you get absolutely zero calls, even no false alarms. Then there will be shifts where you feel you spent the day just driving across base from call to call.
 

AMcC

Guest
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Out of the country so finding it damn hard to try and contact a recruiter, whom I'm sure could easily answer these questions.

I will need to go the the Fire Academy, is it similar to a college or university where they have a window of time in which you need to apply?

Am I dreaming in thinking I can sign up for firefighting and just getting in? Will I have to pick three career paths and just get what I get?
 

SkyZ

New Member
Reaction score
0
Points
0
AMcC said:
Out of the country so finding it damn hard to try and contact a recruiter, whom I'm sure could easily answer these questions.

I will need to go the the Fire Academy, is it similar to a college or university where they have a window of time in which you need to apply?

Am I dreaming in thinking I can sign up for firefighting and just getting in? Will I have to pick three career paths and just get what I get?

Joining as a fire fighter is like joining any other job in the military. You apply, and if they need people they will hire you.
 

blacktriangle

Army.ca Veteran
Reaction score
170
Points
630
I tried a search but the server was having some issues - thought I'd ask here:

I read on the recruiting site that Grade 10 was the minimum education - but it highly recommends having Grade 11 Academic Math as well as a science credit.

I have Grade 12,  I just don't have any Chemistry courses etc. Should I take it that I won't even be looked at without the "recommended" credits? Or perhaps these are even now strict requirements? Just want to get the ball rolling so I can complete them on my off time.

Cheers
 

DAA

Army.ca Veteran
Reaction score
0
Points
0
In general, Grade 10 is the minimum requirement for enrolment into the CF.  After that, each occupation may very well require a higher level and or "specific" course requirements broken into two categories, Ideal and Acceptable.  Such as.....Fire Fighter....

Ideal
High School Diploma (or Sec V) with Grade 11 (or Sec IV) Academic Math and one Science (Chemistry, Physics, PhysicNal Science [Qc]) and formal International Fire Service Accreditation Congress (IFSAC) or Pro Board certified training or equivalent from an accredited institute recognized by the CF Fire Marshal.
and
Firefighting experience with a recognized municipal fire service or private fire brigade for a minimum of one year. College or university level credits may be considered in lieu of firefighting experience. A PLAR shall be conducted by CFSTG SSO Standards Branch to determine eligibility. Valid Driver’s license.

Acceptable
High School Diploma (or Sec V) with Grade 11 (or Sec IV) Academic Math and one Science (Chemistry, Physics, or Physical Science [Qc]).
and
No minimum experience required. Valid Driver’s license.
 

NSRecruit

Guest
Reaction score
0
Points
0
DAA said:
Ideal
High School Diploma (or Sec V) with Grade 11 (or Sec IV) Academic Math and one Science (Chemistry, Physics, PhysicNal Science [Qc]) and formal International Fire Service Accreditation Congress (IFSAC) or Pro Board certified training or equivalent from an accredited institute recognized by the CF Fire Marshal.
and
Firefighting experience with a recognized municipal fire service or private fire brigade for a minimum of one year. College or university level credits may be considered in lieu of firefighting experience. A PLAR shall be conducted by CFSTG SSO Standards Branch to determine eligibility. Valid Driver’s license.
Is it the training they are worries about or would being certified by an accredited organization be acceptable?

Also, I'm presuming that volunteer fire brigades are cover under acceptable municipalities?
 

DAA

Army.ca Veteran
Reaction score
0
Points
0
NSRecruit said:
Is it the training they are worries about or would being certified by an accredited organization be acceptable?

Also, I'm presuming that volunteer fire brigades are cover under acceptable municipalities?

They generally don't or won't waive the education requirements but stranger things have happened.  Fire Brigade is a Fire Brigade, so they all count.
 

NSRecruit

Guest
Reaction score
0
Points
0
DAA said:
They generally don't or won't waive the education requirements but stranger things have happened.  Fire Brigade is a Fire Brigade, so they all count.
Well it would be a full level 1 certification only difference being that I tested out after receiving training at a municipal level.

That make it clearer or still same answer?
 

DAA

Army.ca Veteran
Reaction score
0
Points
0
NSRecruit said:
Well it would be a full level 1 certification only difference being that I tested out after receiving training at a municipal level.

That make it clearer or still same answer?

I do believe, that the "Level 1" is what they are looking for. 
 

blacktriangle

Army.ca Veteran
Reaction score
170
Points
630
Hopefully they are less strict for OTs… I've been a bit busy with the army the last half dozen years or so, haven't exactly gone to firefighting college…

My unit doesn't even want me doing volunteer fire work  :(
 

DAA

Army.ca Veteran
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Spectrum said:
Hopefully they are less strict for OTs… I've been a bit busy with the army the last half dozen years or so, haven't exactly gone to firefighting college…

My unit doesn't even want me doing volunteer fire work  :(

Education requirements I posted, were "strictly" for "off the street" new enrolments.  Chances are the OT requirements are totally different.  I will PM those to you in the morning........
 

SkyZ

New Member
Reaction score
0
Points
0
There are few PAT guys helping out on my QL5 right now who were direct entry with no FF experience. Same with OT. I OT'd from the infantry with no experience either. That's why you go through a 9 month QL3. To learn.
 

blacktriangle

Army.ca Veteran
Reaction score
170
Points
630
Right on, thanks everyone. Just wishing I did the damn credits in high school. Hopefully I can start cramming on evenings and weekends.

;D
 

Scuba_Dave

Member
Reaction score
0
Points
0
So I am in the process of VOT to Firefighter, just completed my pre entry fitness evaluation yesterday and am waiting to hear from the BPSO. Just a few questions with regards to CFFA. How long is the training? I see on the recruiting website that it states around 7 months, but what is the actual training time? Also, what qualifications do you acquire? Is it NFPA 1001 and your OFA 3? As well I understand you take the 404s course but do you drive the apparatuses while on course or is that something that is held back until your QL5's?

Any information is appreciated.

Thanks in advance!
 

mariomike

Moderator
Staff member
Directing Staff
Subscriber
Mentor
Reaction score
330
Points
1,130
For reference.

From Ask a CAF Recruiter,

DAA said:
To be considered for Firefighter, I believe you will also need to already be qualified "NFPA 1001 Fire Fighter Level I" and have prior experience.  Your local Recruiting Detachment can provide additional details about the requirements for both of these occupations.
 
Top